Categories
World News

Two face attempted murder charges for defying South Africa quarantine

Two people face attempted murder charges in South Africa after ‘refusing to go into quarantine when they tested positive for coronavirus’

  • One suspect is a tourist who tested positive during a stay at Kruger National Park
  • He allegedly left his lodge and interacted with others despite orders to isolate
  • Second suspect is a salon owner who allegedly continued working with the virus
  • Coronavirus symptoms: what are they and should you see a doctor?

Two people are facing attempted murder charges after allegedly refusing to go into quarantine in South Africa, it has emerged. 

One of them is a tourist who tested positive for coronavirus while staying in the Kruger National Park but is accused of ignoring orders to self-isolate in his lodge, South African media says. 

The other is a salon owner in the city of Ladysmith, who was arrested after 27 people came into contact with him at his workplace and a religious gathering he attended after allegedly refusing to go into quarantine.  

South Africa’s 57million people are today beginning a nationwide lockdown as the number of cases hit 709, becoming the worst outbreak in Africa. 

South Africa is investigating two people who are accused of refusing to go into quarantine (file photo, a health worker unrelated to those cases tests a motorist Johannesburg)  

According to TimesLive, the infected tourist is accused of leaving Kruger National Park despite being ordered to remain in his lodge.

Police minister Bheki Cele said the man was tracked down to holiday accommodation and then taken into quarantine in hospital. 

‘The tourist ignored the instruction and proceeded to St Lucia in KwaZulu-Natal, where he apparently interacted with an unknown number of people,’ he said. 

Health officials are now desperately trying to trace anyone who might have come into contact with him.

Police are investigating the man under emergency regulations announced by South African president Cyril Ramaphosa.  

The second suspect, a 52-year-old salon owner, was ordered to quarantine himself after returning from ‘various’ other countries, according to The South African. 

‘On his return on March 18, he was tested positive with Covid-19 and was instructed to self-quarantine for at least 14 days pending the blood results,’ a police spokesman said.

‘However, he allegedly continued with his business and in doing so disregarded the instructions by a doctor.’

Authorities are seeking 27 people who may have come into contact with him, either at his salon or at a religious service he attended. 

South African president Cyril Ramamphosa, pictured in Cape Town last month, has ordered a 21-day lockdown to stop the spread of coronavirus 

Both suspects are facing charges of attempted murder, South African news outlets reported yesterday. 

South Africa currently has 709 confirmed coronavirus cases, with no reported deaths. 

The country’s health minister Zweli Mkhize has warned that infections are expected to keep rising.

President Ramaphosa himself has tested negative after taking the test as a precautionary measure, his office said today.   

The president underwent the test on Tuesday on the advice of physicians and received his results on Wednesday night, a statement said. 

Ramaphosa has ordered some of the toughest measures on the continent, including a 21-day lockdown which starts today.

He has also deployed the army to support the police.

Businesses are bracing for the lockdown, with Airlink becoming the latest local airline to suspend flights from midnight on Thursday. 

State power utility Eskom has applied for its critical staff to be exempt from the stay at home order so electricity supplies can continue uninterrupted. 

Source: Read Full Article

Categories
Lifestyle

What we know about Prince Charles’ coronavirus diagnosis

When Grace Kelly’s son, Prince Albert II of Monaco, announced he had tested positive on March 19, there were fears for Britain’s Prince Charles — and today our worst fears were confirmed. His office has announced that the 71-year-old heir to the British throne, and the father of Prince William and Prince Harry, has tested positive for COVID-19 (via Daily Mail).

A spokesman for Clarence House said, “The Prince of Wales has tested positive for Coronavirus. He has been displaying mild symptoms but otherwise remains in good health and has been working from home throughout the last few days as usual.” In reporting the diagnosis, the Daily Mail says Charles was displaying “mild symptoms” over the weekend before he was finally tested and diagnosed with the coronavirus.

The spokesman also said that the tests, which were conducted by Scotland’s National Health Service, has shown that Charles’ wife Camilla is virus-free. “The Duchess of Cornwall has also been tested but does not have the virus. In accordance with Government and medical advice, the Prince and the Duchess are now self-isolating at home in Scotland.”

Charles has spoken to William, Harry, and Queen Elizabeth

The British Press Association says Prince Charles and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall are both “in excellent spirits,” and Charles is not bedridden. Meanwhile, the Daily Mail says Charles’ condition is not expected to get worse, and that he has already spoken to Prince William, Prince Harry, and Queen Elizabeth.

Buckingham Palace says Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip are both still in Windsor and are doing well. “Her Majesty the queen remains in good health,” the palace says. “The queen last saw the Prince of Wales briefly after the investiture on the morning of 12th March and is following all the appropriate advice with regard to her welfare.”

The COVID-19 coronavirus plays no favorites. People who have come down with COVID-19 include celebrities like Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson, as well as Idris Elba, sportspeople like Kevin Durant, political personalities like Canada’s Sophie Gregoire Trudeau (wife of Justin Trudeau) and U.S. Senator Rand Paul (via Vulture).

Source: Read Full Article

Categories
Celebrities

Meghan Markle & Prince Harry Are ‘Observing The Quarantine’ In Canada With Baby Archie: &#821

Keep calm and self-quarantine on!

Just like most of us here in North America, Meghan Markle, Prince Harry, and baby Archie Harrison are “observing the quarantine” in their Canada home! A source tells Us Weekly:

“They are following the rules put forth by the World Health Organization.”

Although they are self-distancing from the outside world, they’re worried about the royal fam back in the UK, which sounds totally understandable to us. An insider explained to DailyMail.com:

“Meghan said they are grateful, especially Harry, that they could spend time with his family before all this insanity began. Meghan said has been in contact with the both his father and grandmother. He urged them to stay safe and to take extra precautions.”

The confidant also elaborated on the measures Meg is taking to protect her loved ones, including requiring “everyone on their team, the people who buy groceries and run errands, to wear latex gloves at all times and are to follow a strict hygiene protocol.” They added:

“Only a select few will be able to interact with her, Harry and Archie. She said she’s keeping it to a bare minimum.”

Of course, the 38-year-old still feels “compelled” to do something as the coronavirus death rates continue to rise:

“Meghan said just because they are isolating themselves, it doesn’t mean they can’t help. They aren’t just sitting around at home doing nothing. Meghan told her inner circle that what’s happening in the world right now is a mental health crisis.”

The source explained:

“She said they are working with a mental health non-profit to create some sort of online support system for those most vulnerable, like new mothers suffering from postpartum depression.  People who lack support systems need reassurance that they are not alone.”

While the Suits alum seems to be in high spirits, the insider can’t say the same for Harry, who apparently “feels a bit helpless and isolated out in the middle of nowhere, but is grateful that they are all together as a family.”

Apparently, Miz Markle is concerned about the coronavirus, but “she’s been diligent about not touching her face and washing her hands.” The confidant explained to the outlet:

“She said panicking won’t do any good. It’s just not an option in her household. She doesn’t want Archie picking up on any unnecessary stress and tension. Her home is her sanctuary and it’s a place of peace and calm.”

Meanwhile, the Queen‘s staff is making sure Her Majesty and other senior members of the royal fam are staying safe. As we previously reported, the 93-year-old and Prince Charles are both experiencing some changes to existing plans so they can steer clear of anyone who is a potential carrier of the virus.

On Tuesday, it was announced the monarch would be moving to Windsor Castle until after Easter as a precaution. Typically, she is based there on weekends and in Buckingham Palace during the week, but her living arrangements will be different moving forward.

The palace said in a statement:

“In consultation with the medical household and government, a number of public events with large numbers of people due to have been attended by The Queen, and other members of the Royal Family, in the coming months will be cancelled or postponed.”

God save the Queen! And all the other commoners!

Related Posts








Source: Read Full Article