Categories
Lifestyle

Crack open the fizz! Official rosé Prosecco will hit shelves next year

Crack open the Rosé Prosecco! New fizz will hit shelves next year after Italian government gave producers the green light – and makers predict they’ll sell 30 million bottles a year

  • Italian Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Forestry finally approved production
  • Rule is the pink bubbly can only be made from the Glera and Pinot Noir grapes
  • Rosé Prosecco must also be made using the Martinotti/Charmat method 
  • Expected to go on sale to consumers in January 2021 following the harvest 

Prosecco fans will be able to buy an official rosé version of the Italian fizz from January next year, after the Italian government finally gave producers the green light.

Previously around 200 producers of the popular bubbly in the Mediterranean country made a rosé sparkling wine, but legally they were unable to call it Prosecco.  

This is because regulations state that the drink can only be white and must be made with at least 85 per cent Glera grape and a maximum of 15 per cent of other varieties, including red-skinned Pinot Noir, vinified as white. 

But this month, after a year of producers lobbying the Prosecco DOC Consortium and the Italian Ministry of Agriculture, Prosecco DOC Rosé was finally approved.

And it comes at a good time, as sales of Prosecco have dipped over the past few months due to the Covid-19 pandemic, which coincided with a cap on production in 2020 at 15 tonnes/ha for Prosecco DOC and 12 tonnes/ha for Prosecco Superiore DOCG. 

Prosecco fans will be able to buy an official rosé version of the Italian fizz from January next year, after the Italian government finally gave producers the green light. Pictured: stock image

The new pink fizz must be made using a Glera base and blended with 10 to 15 per cent Pinot Nero, and can only be produced in two styles – Brut Nature and Extra Dry.

It must also be made using the Martinotti/Charmat method, and spend a minimum of 60 days going through a second fermentation in a pressurised tank.

The earliest it’ll go on sale is January 1 – meaning hopefully it’ll be available in the UK by the summer – and all bottles will be vintage with the ‘Millesimato’ – grapes used from a single harvest – printed on the label.

A minimum of 85 per cent of the fruit used must come from the stated vintage. 

The Consortium estimates it’ll be a big hit, with the production of up to 30 million bottles of rosé Prosecco a year.

The new pink fizz must be made using a Glera base and blended with 10 to 15 per cent Pinot Nero, and can only be produced in two styles – Brut Nature and Extra Dry. Pictured: stock image

Stefano Zanette, President of the Prosecco DOC Consortium, thanked ‘all those who have contributed to obtaining this important result, in a moment particularly tough for the wine industry’.

He told Fortune last year: ‘Producers are already producing a sparkling rosé wine, without it falling under the Prosecco DOC appellation.

‘Adding the rosé to the disciplinary rules will benefit both producers and consumers: A DOC appellation’s control system can guarantee quality and origin.’

Enore Ceola, CEO of Freixenet Mionetto USA – one of the largest and oldest producers of Prosecco – said the move will help ‘end the confusion between some of the other Italian sparkling rosé being sold or marketed as a Prosecco rosé when it’s not’.

Bosco Viticultori is one of the first producers to announce it intends to produce pink Prosecco was Bosco Viticultori. It hopes to unveil its first bottles in January and aims to produce one million bottles from the 2019 vintage, with a shelf price of between £10 and £12. 

The brand’s managing director, Paolo Lasagni, previously told the Drinks Business: ‘We will be making pink Prosecco from the 2019 harvest, which will be bottled in December.

‘There is a temptation to get the wines ready in time for Christmas, but it’s better to take your time and make a quality product than rush it to market.’ 

Prosecco was granted the Controlled Designation of Origin status in July 2009, with Glera named the official grape of the drink.

The Prosecco DOC Consortium (Consorzio di Tutela della Denominazione di Origine Controllata Prosecco) was created on November 19 later that year to coordinate and manage the Prosecco DOC. 

Source: Read Full Article

Categories
Lifestyle

Tony Abbott dismissed official Defence advice on submarines, Turnbull claims

Former prime minister Tony Abbott dismissed advice from Australia's top Defence official to admit his government could not meet its stated deadline for a new submarine fleet, sparking a clash on national security.

Mr Abbott insisted on claiming the first submarine could be delivered in the "late 2020s" despite being told the timeframe was impossible, his successor, Malcolm Turnbull, writes in his new memoir.

Malcolm Turnbull and Tony Abbott cross paths at a Liberal Party convention in 2017.Credit:AAP

The warning came from then Defence secretary Dennis Richardson in the final months of Mr Abbott's time as prime minister in 2015, when the government was preparing a draft white paper on national defence.

In his new book, A Bigger Picture, Mr Turnbull says Mr Abbott knew the "late 2020s" deadline could not be met but would not amend the draft white paper and later attacked his successor when the wording was changed.

Months after losing the leadership, Mr Abbott said he was "flabbergasted" when the final white paper was published saying the first submarine would be delivered in the "early 2030s" instead.

Mr Turnbull quotes Mr Richardson telling him in September 2015 that the earlier deadline in the draft white paper was "complete and utter bullshit" and Mr Abbott had been told this when he was prime minister.

Former secretary of Defence Dennis RichardsonCredit:Andrew Meares

According to Mr Turnbull, Mr Richardson said of the draft paper: "It says that the future submarines can start to be delivered in the mid-2020s – so about 10 years from now. That's simply not possible. I told your predecessor this and he insisted that the 2020s date should go in and leave the problem for another government."

Mr Turnbull's response to that advice was to update the draft paper with a completion date that reflected reality, which was the early 2030s.

The assertion is part of a detailed account of Australian defence policy that claims Mr Abbott would have awarded a mammoth contract to build the submarine fleet in Japan but shifted position after intense political pressure to save local shipbuilding jobs.

Mr Turnbull also suggests Mr Abbott "may have encouraged" Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe to believe Japan would win the adjusted contract to lead the project with shipbuilders in Australia.

But the recommendation from the Defence Department and its independent advisory panel was "unequivocal" and the contract went to French company Naval for its design, known as the Shortfin Barracuda.

A supplied image of French submarine Shortfin Barracuda, designed by the DCNS group. Credit:DCNS Group

The contract was estimated to be worth $50 billion when first announced but was later revised to $80 billion, with total outlays approaching $225 billion when including the cost of maintaining the 12 submarines over five decades to 2080.

Mr Turnbull's memoir describes Mr Abbott as a "very dangerous prime minister" and says the former leader's close relationship with chief adviser Peta Credlin split the government.

"When Peta was upset, Abbott rushed to calm her," Mr Turnbull writes. "She could do no wrong and no matter how tyrannical or vindictive she became, he wouldn't hear a word against her."



Mr Turnbull said his predecessor was primarily driven by "hatreds, fears and prejudice" and ultimately became a "weird caricature of himself" by knighting Prince Philip on Australia Day in 2015.

Read more:

  • ‘The hypocrisy made me sick’: Turnbull reveals details about Christensen AFP probe
  • ‘How could he have been so stupid’: Turnbull, Joyce and the ‘bonk ban’ debacle
  • Murdoch wanted him out because he was ‘his own man’, Turnbull claims
  • Morrison blamed for damaging leaks out of Turnbull government

Source: Read Full Article

Categories
World News

Boris Johnson's official photographer is diagnosed with coronavirus

Boris Johnson’s official photographer is diagnosed with coronavirus – having failed to isolate when the PM tested positive, visiting the new NHS Nightingale hospital and mixing with civil servants

  • Andrew Parsons failed to isolate after PM Boris Johnson’s coronavirus diagnosis 
  • The PM’s photographer instead went on to continue with two more engagements
  • He visited the NHS Nightingale hospital and snapped photos of soldiers there  
  • Coronavirus symptoms: what are they and should you see a doctor?

Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s photographer has coronavirus symptoms and is self-isolating – just days after he visited a temporary field hospital set up to treat patients.

Andrew Parsons reportedly failed to isolate after Mr Johnson’s diagnosis and went on to visit the temporary NHS Nightingale hospital at the ExCeL centre in East London and take photos of the soldiers helping to build it. 

He then went on to take photos of civil servants at Downing Street.  

The photographer is now believed to be self-isolating at home with mild coronavirus symptoms. 

Boris Johnson’s photographer Andrew Parsons reportedly failed to isolate after Mr Johnson’s diagnosis

Parsons had photographed Mr Johnson outside his Downing Street office during a moment of appreciation for NHS workers on March 26. 

The next day, the PM announced he had tested positive for coronavirus and had been suffering symptoms before the ‘clap for carers’ event.

However, the photographer carried on his work despite the PM’s announcement. 

On March 27, Parsons photographed the construction of the NHS Nightingale temporary hospital in East London and on March 28 he photographed staff inside the cabinet room of the prime minister’s residence, listening to Johnson on a video conference call. 

A source told the Sun: ‘After Boris was diagnosed, instead of self isolating he (Parsons) went over to the new hospital at Excel to do pictures.

‘Instead of doing the sensible thing he has potentially passed it on to all the squaddies working over there, as well as a number of civil servants and officials he’s been in touch with.

‘He was last close to the PM after the hand clap pics in Downing Street last Thursday – and was stood next to other photographers and film crews – potentially giving it to them too.’  

Parsons had photographed Mr Johnson outside his Downing Street office during a moment of appreciation for NHS workers on March 26

However, the photographer carried on his work despite the PM’s announcement. On March 27, Parsons photographed the construction of the NHS Nightingale temporary hospital in East London

Soldiers helping to build the Nightingale hospital in London last night compared the coronavirus crisis to the Battle of the Somme.

Colonel Ashleigh Boreham, who has carried out two tours of Iraq and one of Afghanistan, said it was the biggest mission of his career.

As commanding officer of 256 City of London Field Hospital, he is in charge of military personnel working on the NHS facility at the ExCeL centre.

Built in around ten days, it will have 4,000 beds for coronavirus patients when it opens this week. Similar hospitals are being installed in Manchester, Birmingham and Glasgow to ease pressure on existing sites.

Colonel Boreham, who has helped create field hospitals around the world, said: ‘We are building a hospital for people in our nation. You are saving people’s lives and they could be the lives of your families. It’s the biggest job I’ve ever done.

‘My grandfather was at the Somme, this is no different. I’m just at a different battle. I’m from London, I have friends and family in London. Many of the people working here, many of the soldiers working here, are from London.

‘We are doing this to save the lives of Londoners. These are our comrades, there’s no difference. It doesn’t matter if they are civilian or military.’  

Source: Read Full Article

Categories
TV and Movies

The official Love Is Blind reunion drinking game

The Love Is Blind reunion show is finally with us and if it’s anything like the wedding episode, we’re in for one hell of a wild ride.

The 10-episode Netflix series has got us truly addicted, and we couldn’t be more eager to find out what happened to Jessica Batten after she left Mark Cuevas at the alter and whether or not she’s still low-key pining for Matthew Barnett.

So, if you’re over 18, get your fave tipple of choice ready and waiting (ours is a bottle of fizz or several margaritas – we’re not fussy).

Remember, don’t over-do it because midweek hangovers are no fun, and we, of course, are responsible people. Also, nibble on snacks and swig water in between all the madness, but grab your drink when…

Jessica brings up the age gap

Jessica talks about her age gap relationship with Mark at literally every God-given opportunity, so we can pretty much count on it happening at least three times during the reunion. One finger.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=-u5mlYhhXHk%3Fversion%3D3%26rel%3D1%26fs%3D1%26autohide%3D2%26showsearch%3D0%26showinfo%3D1%26iv_load_policy%3D1%26start%3D4%26wmode%3Dtransparent

Giannina storms off-set

Our runaway bride aka Giannina stunned us all when she legged it in her wedding dress and fell into a ditch just minutes into the Love Is Blind wedding episode.

If the going gets tough for the 25-year-old during the chat show, could she do it again?

If she does, see your entire drink off.

Cameron raps

Amber confronts Jessica

We’ve already seen in the preview that there’s going to be a little bit of a bust-up between Amber and Jessica and we’re here for the drama.

When it all kicks off, grab your bev. One finger.

Jessica flinches at Mark

Cue the awkwardness. One finger.

Giannina takes a dramatic pause

Giannina is the mother of dramatic pauses. Whether she’s able to top that conversation she had with Damian over their bad sex remains to be seen, but we’re holding out hope. Two fingers.

The presenters make an appearance

Nick and Vanessa Lachey have both been pretty absent throughout the whole series, only cropping up now and again during key moments.

Should they swan in to see how the couples have been doing, you know what to do. Three fingers.

Love Is Blind is available to stream on Netflix.

If you’ve got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us [email protected], calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.

Source: Read Full Article