Categories
World News

Two face attempted murder charges for defying South Africa quarantine

Two people face attempted murder charges in South Africa after ‘refusing to go into quarantine when they tested positive for coronavirus’

  • One suspect is a tourist who tested positive during a stay at Kruger National Park
  • He allegedly left his lodge and interacted with others despite orders to isolate
  • Second suspect is a salon owner who allegedly continued working with the virus
  • Coronavirus symptoms: what are they and should you see a doctor?

Two people are facing attempted murder charges after allegedly refusing to go into quarantine in South Africa, it has emerged. 

One of them is a tourist who tested positive for coronavirus while staying in the Kruger National Park but is accused of ignoring orders to self-isolate in his lodge, South African media says. 

The other is a salon owner in the city of Ladysmith, who was arrested after 27 people came into contact with him at his workplace and a religious gathering he attended after allegedly refusing to go into quarantine.  

South Africa’s 57million people are today beginning a nationwide lockdown as the number of cases hit 709, becoming the worst outbreak in Africa. 

South Africa is investigating two people who are accused of refusing to go into quarantine (file photo, a health worker unrelated to those cases tests a motorist Johannesburg)  

According to TimesLive, the infected tourist is accused of leaving Kruger National Park despite being ordered to remain in his lodge.

Police minister Bheki Cele said the man was tracked down to holiday accommodation and then taken into quarantine in hospital. 

‘The tourist ignored the instruction and proceeded to St Lucia in KwaZulu-Natal, where he apparently interacted with an unknown number of people,’ he said. 

Health officials are now desperately trying to trace anyone who might have come into contact with him.

Police are investigating the man under emergency regulations announced by South African president Cyril Ramaphosa.  

The second suspect, a 52-year-old salon owner, was ordered to quarantine himself after returning from ‘various’ other countries, according to The South African. 

‘On his return on March 18, he was tested positive with Covid-19 and was instructed to self-quarantine for at least 14 days pending the blood results,’ a police spokesman said.

‘However, he allegedly continued with his business and in doing so disregarded the instructions by a doctor.’

Authorities are seeking 27 people who may have come into contact with him, either at his salon or at a religious service he attended. 

South African president Cyril Ramamphosa, pictured in Cape Town last month, has ordered a 21-day lockdown to stop the spread of coronavirus 

Both suspects are facing charges of attempted murder, South African news outlets reported yesterday. 

South Africa currently has 709 confirmed coronavirus cases, with no reported deaths. 

The country’s health minister Zweli Mkhize has warned that infections are expected to keep rising.

President Ramaphosa himself has tested negative after taking the test as a precautionary measure, his office said today.   

The president underwent the test on Tuesday on the advice of physicians and received his results on Wednesday night, a statement said. 

Ramaphosa has ordered some of the toughest measures on the continent, including a 21-day lockdown which starts today.

He has also deployed the army to support the police.

Businesses are bracing for the lockdown, with Airlink becoming the latest local airline to suspend flights from midnight on Thursday. 

State power utility Eskom has applied for its critical staff to be exempt from the stay at home order so electricity supplies can continue uninterrupted. 

Source: Read Full Article

Categories
World News

Two grizzly bears rain blows on each other as they brawl in the water in incredible snaps – The Sun

TWO grizzly bears rain blows on each other as they brawl in the water.

The huge 28st beasts roared as they rucked, with neither looking like throwing in the towel.




Amateur photographer Thomas Vijayan captured the striking snap at Katmai National Park in Alaska, US.

Source: Read Full Article

Categories
World News

Two more women charged with murder in Bronx ATM beatdown

Cops have arrested and charged two more women for the fatal beating of a Bronx woman in a bank vestibule last month, officials said Friday.

Chanell Arroyo, 20, and Francis Morales, 21, were charged with murder and robbery in the Feb. 21 death of 43-year-old Tamara Sinclair, police said.

Arroyo was nabbed on Wednesday, and Morales turned herself in on Thursday, police said.

Another woman, Reign Harney, 21, was held on $250,000 bail on the same charges when she appeared in Bronx Supreme Court on Feb. 27.

The confrontation happened on Feb. 11 just after 10:30 p.m., when the three women started banging on the window of the vestibule, trying to get Sinclair to let them into the Bank of America on White Plains Road near Pelham Parkway South, police said.

Sinclair refused and crossed the street, where the trio followed her and attacked, cops said.

During the attack, Harney allegedly wrapped her arm around Sinclair’s neck and shoulders, throwing her to the ground, according to the criminal complaints.

As Sinclair was trying to get up, one of the women kicked her while another robbed her as she lay on the ground. The three women repeatedly pushed her down as she tried to get up, before pushing her down stairs, the complaint says.

EMS treated Sinclair at the scene, but she was released without filing a police report, despite her telling the officers, “They pushed me to the ground. My foot feels like it is broken,” the complaint states.

A few days later, she filed a police report and went to Montefiore Medical Center for pain in her ankle, but decided to go home, according to police.

Sinclair died Feb. 21 from a blood clot — a result of a fractured ankle, according to authorities.

Arroyo was held on $250,000 bail at her Wednesday arraignment, and Morales was held on $150,000 bail. Both pleaded not guilty and are due back in Bronx Criminal Court on April 13.

Source: Read Full Article

Categories
World News

Boy, 12, dies two weeks after falling over bannister at primary school in 'freak accident'

A BOY has died after falling over a bannister at a primary school in a “freak accident”.

Blaise Cunningham, 12, suffered fatal brain and back injuries when he fell 12ft off a staircase at St Brigid’s National school in Castleknock, Dublin.

The youngster was taken to hospital but died after a two-week battle last Wednesday.

A source told the Irish Mirror: “It was a freak accident. The children were just leaving school at the end of the day.

“It’s quite traumatic and local residents have been holding a minute’s silences for him at various meetings. Everybody is very upset and the wider community are very sad.”

Blake’s devastated family held his funeral last Sunday after keeping a daily vigil by his hospital bedside.

His teachers and classmates are said to be distraught at the news.

The source said: “It’s very upsetting for the school and for the staff that such a freak accident could happen on the grounds.”

Source: Read Full Article

Categories
World News

Two Manhattan prep schools close over coronavirus concerns

Two elite Manhattan prep schools will be closed Friday for a “thorough cleaning” due to a family that’s being monitored for the coronavirus, The Post has learned.

Both the all-boys Collegiate School on the Upper West Side and the all-girls Spence School on the Upper East Side will be closed, according to messages on their websites and an email obtained by The Post.

The family being monitored for the virus has ties to both schools, likely a child attending each of the institutions, a source told The Post.

One of the parents was exposed to the illness on a recent international trip and the family is now under quarantine, awaiting test results, according to an email Collegiate School headmaster Lee Levison sent to community members on Thursday.

“The family informed us immediately of their situation and is following the protocols recommended by the Department of Health and family physicians,” Levison wrote in the email obtained by The Post.

The school will shutter for a “thorough cleaning,” though both state and city health departments said it was OK to stay open, Levison added.

“I understand and appreciate the anxiety associated with the dynamic situation regarding COVID-19, so in this instance we are acting in a very conservative manner,” he wrote.

The prestigious Spence School also said, on its website, that it would be closed Friday for “comprehensive sanitation of the entire campus.”

The schools are expected to reopen on Monday.

Neither immediately returned a request for comment late Thursday.

About 2,800 New York City residents are under quarantine to prevent the spread of the coronavirus and being monitored by the city’s Department of Health, officials said Thursday.

Source: Read Full Article

Categories
Celebrities

Chungha self-isolates as two members of her team test positive for coronavirus

Chungha has gone into self-isolation after two of her staff members tested positive for coronavirus, following a trip to Italy.

The Korean singer had been in the country for scheduled activity last month, however after she returned home two of her staff members, who accompanied her to Italy, started showing symptoms of the virus.

Now 24-year-old Chungha’s agency has released a statement, confirming two of her staff tested positive for COVID-19, however the singer has not tested positive for coronavirus herself.

‘Our artist Chungha returned home from a scheduled activity in Italy on February 24. One of the staff members who accompanied her showed signs of fever and tested positive for COVID-19,’ MNH Entertainment’s statement read today.

It added that ‘Chungha and all accompanying personnel’ were made to go into self-isolation while they were also tested for the condition.

‘One more staff member tested positive for the virus, and we are taking the appropriate action for it,’ the statement continued. ‘All the other staff members tested negative, and Chungha also tested negative on March 1.’

It added: ‘Based on the results of the test, they will go into self-isolation as requested by Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

‘For the sake of safety, all scheduled activities have been canceled for the time being, and we will continue to take the best possible measures and deal with [the virus] faithfully.

‘We thank everyone working hard to combat the virus, and we will do our best to protect our safety and health from COVID-19.’

Self-isolation generally lasts for 14 days.

As a result of this, American company 88rising announced that Chungha – who was a member of girl band I.O.I. – will no longer be performing in her scheduled slot at Head in the Clouds Festival, set to take place 7 March in Jakarta.

It comes after a K-Pop festival in LA, which had already announced artists including MOMOLAND, has been postponed due to increasing fears over coronavirus.

The Korea Times Music Festival, which was set to be staged at the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles in April, will no longer be going ahead on the planned date. According to reports, the festival initially announced that the postponement was due to ‘the increasing uncertainty threat of coronavirus.’

The Korean Music Awards were recently cancelled, while BTS’ promotional performances for their new album Map Of The Soul: 7 will be filmed without an audience.

Source: Read Full Article

Categories
Lifestyle

Spoilers: Two more Home and Away characters are killed

Jasmine (Sam Frost), Robbo (Jake Ryan) and Tori (Penny McNamee) have recently begun shifting back into a normal routine, especially with Tori awake from her six week coma, but now a fresh threat has arisen after Robbo received Lance’s (Angus McLaren) bloodied wallet in the mail.

When Scott (Trent Baines) pulls up by the side of the road as Jasmine heads to work, she is panicked and dismayed when he demands she gets in. At home, Robbo tells her the Ouroboros gang are suspected to be behind the wallet.

Robbo fears the worst when he finds out Lance didn’t show up for his shift and his house is empty. Then they find out Dylan Carter (Jeremy Lindsay Carter) has been found dead in his cell. To make matters worse, Robbo’s nightmare is realised when news comes in that Lance’s body has been found.

Jasmine tries to support Robbo as he comes to terms with losing one of his best friends. He becomes overwhelmed with the desire to end this once and for all. Robbo organises for Justin and Tori to look after Grace so her safety is ensured. He says goodbye to his family and heads out to pursue the investigation.

When he receives the forensics reports, they show that Lance was shot at close range. Robbo suggests to Scott that Lance must have known his killer – maybe he was even friends with them. Scott steers Robbo away from his suspicions – surely not…

Source: Read Full Article

Categories
TV and Movies

'The View:' Two Co-Hosts Describe The Day They Were Fired

ABC’s daytime talk show The View has had its share of drama both on and off camera. With revolving co-hosts every couple of years since the show’s launch in 1997, the program finally seems to have some stability with Whoopi Goldberg, Joy Behar, Sunny Hostin, and Meghan McCain at the table.

After show creator Barbara Walters retired in May 2014, several from the panel and crew were fired due to network execs wanting some changes on The View. In a book published last year that delved into the show’s behind-the-scenes issues, two former co-hosts shared their experience when they discovered they were getting the ax.

Walters retires

In May 2014, Walters was greeted by numerous legendary journalists to wish her farewell and good luck in her retirement in a special episode on The View. News women from Diane Sawyer and Connie Chung to Kathie Lee Gifford and even media mogul Oprah Winfrey appeared on the show for Walters’ special sendoff.

Before announcing her retirement, Walters had decided to sell her 50 percent ownership of The View back to ABC. According to Ramin Setoodah in his book Ladies Who Punch: The Explosive Inside Story of The View,” Walters later regretted the decision since it stripped her of decision-making rights on the show, including who stays and who goes.

“She sold her stake,” former executive producer told Setoodah. “By the way, none of us knew this. The moment she no longer had a say, the show, as it was, was essentially over. I don’t think any of us realized that. I think we found out too late that she wasn’t one of the bosses anymore.”

‘The View’ in downsize mode

Setoodah reported that the summer following Walters’ last show, Geddie and show producers were trying to think of ways to reignite The View, which included trying out male co-hosts who had a limited amount of fame such as Mario Cantone and Bill Rancic.

Co-host Jenny McCarthy was enthusiastic about the change. “It had a fun energy,” she told Setoodah. “It was a little bit more my temperature.”

Yet the idea didn’t take off and in late June, everyone with the exception of Whoopi Goldberg was summoned for a mystery meeting. “All of a sudden, everyone gets a phone call that says, ‘Go to this address,’” McCarthy said. “Bill is, like, ‘I’m getting fired.’”

According to Setoodah’s book, Geddie went to the meeting and was told he would have to share his job and title with another executive producer. Geddie immediately wanted out.

“Bill came back, walked into his office, shut the door, spent 30 minutes in there, and never came back,” McCarthy revealed. “And then [co-host] Sherri [Shepherd] called her agent and said, ‘I’m not going to that f****** building.’”

Cleaning house

After Geddie, producer Alexandra Cohen was also let go and both Shepherd and McCarthy received the news from their agents. “I was with Jenny when she got the phone call,” Shepherd said. “She was really upset. She had specifically asked [network executive] Lisa Hackner, ‘If you are not renewing my contract, let me know.’”

Shepherd was the next recipient of bad news. “I’m comforting [Jenny] and my phone is blowing up,” the former co-host recalled. “My manager called me and said, ‘They aren’t renewing your contract.’”

View this post on Instagram

Here I am… Happy Valentine’s Day ♥️♥️

A post shared by Sherri (@sherrieshepherd) on

Though Shepherd had been in contract negotiations for a higher salary, she felt blindsided at the termination without so much as a conversation. Yet apparently the network thought her price was too high. “Sherri’s ask was astronomical and was not financially possible for the show,” an insider told Variety.

Others at ABC were equally stunned at the downsizing. “I don’t really know why any of those decisions were made, but I do not believe it’s ever a smart call to blow up a program and start from scratch,” a top network exec commented to Variety. 

Shepherd, McCarthy, and Geddie commiserated over their sudden unemployment and Goldberg was the last one standing on The View. The show would go through more co-host combos in the following years, which included bringing back the tumultuous Rosie O’Donnell. Despite the usual heated debates and flared tempers the show is renowned for, the current panel on The View seems to be on solid ground… for now.

Source: Read Full Article