Categories
World News

Boris Johnson says 397 MILLION items of PPE kit shipped in for ‘amazing’ NHS staff in latest coronavirus isolation video – The Sun

BORIS Johnson told the nation 397million items of PPE are being shipped in – as he praised NHS staff on the frontline of the coronavirus fight.

The PM released a video of himself this evening, still in isolation after catching the killer bug, calling the medics "amazing".

⚠️ Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates


It comes as the UK coronavirus death rate shot up by another 50 per cent today – after 563 people died in a single day.

The total number of patients who have died in hospital after testing positive for coronavirus has gone up from 1,789 to 2,352.

Mr Johnson said: "Let's be in no doubt this has been a sad, sad day, 563 more cases, a record in a single day.

"Our thoughts go out to the families of the victims and all their friends.

"But let's be in no doubt, that if we can follow the programme that we're currently set upon, if we can comply with the measures that we've embarked on together then I have absolutely no doubt that we will begin to start to push those numbers down, and we will turn the tide of the coronavirus in the next few weeks and months."

"We've shipped just in the last couple of weeks 597 million pieces of personal protective equipment to look after our amazing NHS staff.

"The Army reservists and others are doing a quite amazing job of shipping that stuff around the country."

UK TOLL RISES

Yesterday, the death rate had already doubled on the day before, as 381 more patients died.

The Department of Health today confirmed another 563 had died – meaning the rate has increased by another 50 per cent.

The worrying trend suggests the spike in deaths is getting steeper.

The PM added: "We're also massively increasing testing, and I want to say a special word about testing because it is so important, as I have said for weeks and weeks this is the way through, this is how we will unlock the coronavirus puzzle, this is how we will defeat it in the end.

"What we need to do is massively ramp up not just tests so that you can know whether you've had the disease in the past… Second people need to know whether they haven't got it, people isolating at homes for no reason, that's very important for our NHS staff."
Yesterday, it was revealed coronavirus had killed another 40 people outside hospital up to March 20 – meaning the total number of deaths in the UK is at least 2,392.

The number of people who have tested positive for coronavirus in Britain has also gone up from 25,150 to 29,474 as the pandemic spreads.

TRAGIC DEATH

It comes as a 13-year-old boy became the UK's youngest coronavirus victim after dying from the disease at King's College Hospital in London on Monday.

Ismail Mohamed Abdulwahab, 13, from Brixton, South West London, had no underlying health conditions.

Tragically, his mum and six siblings were not able to be by his side in his final moments because of the contagiousness of the killer virus.

A spokesperson told The Sun Online today how the "very healthy" teenager had first fallen ill on March 23 with Covid-19 symptoms.

Three days later, Ismail's condition worsened and he was rushed to hospital where medics put him on a ventilator.

Today's figures from the Department of Health only include those who have died in hospital after testing positive for the disease, so the true death toll is actually higher.

From the start of the crisis until March 20, at least 40 more people died from coronavirus in England and Wales than previously thought after hidden deaths at home were revealed for the first time.

CORONAVIRUS CRISIS – STAY IN THE KNOW

Don't miss the latest news and figures – and essential advice for you and your family.

To receive The Sun's Coronavirus newsletter in your inbox every tea time, sign up here.

To folow us on Facebook, simply 'Like' our Coronavirus page.

Get Britain's best-selling newspaper delivered to your smartphone or tablet each day – find out more.

Today a furious courier today begged Brits to stop ordering clothes and “tat” online during the coronavirus lockdown.

The self-employed delivery driver, 40, shared an image of a pile of 120 packages she was required to take to a single housing estate in Bury, Greater Manchester.

The decision to order non-essential items has sparked a debate online with people arguing the online delivery business is keeping the economy going with no rule against online shopping.

Source: Read Full Article